Tuesday 15 September 2009

Meet Murray

So this is how it all started, Murray was my first ever Malinois, bred by Rosemary Banfield, I believe it was a litter of four, 3 boys and 1 girl, Murray, Horrace, Beau and Zena, all of them became working dogs serving for the military police and the ministry of defence police.

Many moons ago I was in the military police and ended up having Murray as my police dog. It's a funny story really, when I first went to pick my dog up I was given a German Shepherd called Bruno, great I thought, he was a big hairy, scary looking beast, the only problem was he kept running off chasing rabbits, not at all interested in working, obviously he didn't make the grade and found a new pet home.

So back down the kennels to get my next dog, Ron who was my trainer said "Ive got the perfect dog for you"

We walked through the kennels passing the well known German Shepherds, barking and jumping at the doors upholding their reputation and finally stopped at the kennel of my new dog, a waggy tailed whippet standing at the kennel door on his back legs wanting a fuss, "him ?" I said, "Yep he will be perfect"

I thought I was being blagged at the time but I can assure you Sgt Ron was not joking, all I kept thinking to myself was how can I take this back to the unit.


Well it turns out he was the best dog ever, he was just 11 months old and was already fully trained, he just needed to mature and get out on the streets and show his stuff.

Murray was just awesome, in our life together we caught some great criminals, he never let me down and was always there to protect me, he even had one of the Army officers on the arm when they came to close to me, Oopps !!

Sadly I later left the Army and Murray was rehomed with the Ministry of defence police, he is still working and the handler will be keeping him when he retires (obviously I would have had him back otherwise).

So that's how the story moves on, who would want any other breed when you can have a Malinois, before I had Murray I didn't even know the breed existed, Ron was right "He was the perfect dog" and my current five dogs, Ronny, Keisha, Kody, Pudsey and Zippy are now the perfect dogs.

The picture above is Murray and Cindy who both served for the Military.

No comments:

Post a Comment