Friday 4 March 2011

This week was Speed

So this week club training was focused around speed, the fastest possible line without interrupting the dogs stride. This was perfect for us, Zippy loves to just run and this was an ideal set up to work him from behind.

Sequence 1

On this sequence I decided to keep Zippy on my left after jump 3, that way I could send him on ahead to jump 5 & 6 on his own which allowed me enough time to get the correct position to signal the tight line from jump 7 into the weaves, this seemed to work well as Zippy kept the pole up and hit the weave entry every time, I then ran ahead whilst Zippy was in the weaves and then pushed him over to jump 9 to get the best angle for the go-round onto jump 10.

Areas that caused problems on this sequence: Some handlers choose to front cross the dog between 6 & 7 which made the dog jump wide over 7 and then subsequently miss the weave entry, or, alot of dogs were taking the pole at Jump 7 as they were trying to turn in the air to make the weave entry.


Sequence 2

I started Zippy with him on my right, with him having a running A-Frame this was a perfect combination to work him from behind, once Zippy had taken jump 3, I was able to rear cross him to send him onto jump 4 & 5 whilst I positioned myself ready for the tunnel, this worked well as I needed to hold my ground whilst Zippy crossed the face of the tunnel and ignore that first entrance. On a few occasions I hadn't positioned myself quite right and Zippy did go in the wrong end of the tunnel.
Areas that caused problems: some dogs were getting the wrong end of the tunnel due to late commands or incorrect postion, other handlers ran their dog on their left and then called the dogs around their body after jump 5 to make sure they got the right end of the tunnel, although the dogs would have had a clear run it was a much longer line. Handlers also choose to run their dog on their left from the start but didn't always make it to push them back over jump 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment