Wednesday 13 October 2010

Training Training Training

This last week has been all about training, well mainly the A-Frame that is, Keisha and Zippy have started well and we have just completed all the ground work including the grid, today was our first opportunity to actually move onto the A-Frame itself. With the first BSD WC selection day fast approaching I am trying to rush Keisha through it, infact I make it 4 weeks this saturday before it arrives so not much time left at all. Well I decided to run Zippy over it first, I only worked him from the down plank and he got the target about 80%, he is quite a sensitive dog and actually doesn't like to get things wrong, so much NOT like his dad !!!

Keisha on the other hand hit 100% of her targets when working on the down plank which I was really shocked but pleased about, I decided I would go straight in and push her to run the full A-Frame, it was actually quite successful, she averaged 85%-90% success rate just failing on the targets when I was ahead and racing her, although the success rate was quite high tonight im expecting it to peak but then fall as training always seems to do, im just hoping the fall doesn't coincide with the selection day.

........... and im also conscious to the fact that im still using my training aid and I don't anticipate taking that away until at least december so it will probably be hit and miss on the day if she gets it. Realistically I know that 4 weeks is not enough time and with the added pressure of making sure all her other skills are up to standard it's going to be a hard slog to be at our best for November.

Anyway, last sunday was our first jumping session, Ronny, Keisha and Zippy are all currently working on speed, speed and speed and working at a distance, with them all moving up the grades this year I have found the courses to be quite naggy and tight, Zippy seems to have been affected the most and has lost the confidence to just RUN, so now it's my job to allow them to stretch out and take what they see for a change. I'm planing to keep it like this until christmas and then tighten then up before the season commences again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment