Tuesday 16 September 2008

Paws in the Park

Ronny wins Dash and Grab !!!!!!

Never in a million years did I think my brilliant man would win the dash and grab.
Otherwise known as the fastest water retrieve, a race between two dogs each having their own lane and jump platform. The dogs have to race against each other to jump in collect a tennis ball at the other end of the pool and swim back and climb out before giving the ball to it's handler. The race is scored best out of three and is a knock out competition ending up with the fastest two dogs in the final.

Ronny loves swimming, he hasn't got the biggest jump by all means but what he lacks in that area he certainly makes up with super sonic swimming and sheer determination not to loose to his challenger.
Ronny won his semi final 2-0 and was through to the final against the Dash and Splash European record holder a Labrador x Pointer called Dash.

I must admit I doubted my boy for the first time ever and thought we were going to place second, anyway nothing to loose and try stopping Ronny!!! a water doggie that would have broken every bone in my body to have another go.

Whistle was blown and both dogs jumped in to their lane, Dash jumped almost on top of his ball and was already on his way back for home, Ronny was about a meter away from his ball so had some catching up to do, my god he can swim, Ronny collected his ball and over took Dash on the way back, climbed out of the pool first and handed me his ball. We were leading 1-0.
So Dash needed this next one to stay in the game, both dogs lined up at the start line awaiting the off. The whistle was blown and both dogs set off, Ronny had a brilliant jump and was level with Dash, Ronny put his super sonic swimming on and scrambled out of the pool first, Dash closely behind, I tried to get the ball from Ronny but in my panic dropped the ball, I looked across and noticed Dash's handler had also done the same, luckily for me Ronny was watching with his eager eyes and picked the ball up again and handed it back to me, we had won, 2-0 !!!
I guess Ronny is just too competitive to loose, anyone who knows Ronny will certainly know what I mean.
We collected our Rosette at the end and to both of our surprise the winner received a whole load of toys and food and a giant dog bed (not for me of course!!!) Ronny was thrilled, it took us half an hour to get back to the van as I was carrying his prizes back he kept jumping up to see what he had won.

Anyway that wasn't the only good news. Keisha had a brilliant weekend too. She had a fantastic agility weekend, 3 out of 3 clears on Sunday gaining a 21st in her agility, 6th in her ABC jumping and then finishing with an amazing run in her jumping class to come 2nd in a class of over 200 dogs. The course was a fast but catchy course, the dogs really had to listen and respond quickly or they would over run and be eliminated (exactly what Ronny did) but Keisha was in form and for the first time really showed her proper potential.

Ronny and Kiah competed in their pairs event and came away with a fantastic run and only 10 faults. This pair is amazing and when they get it right I don't think there will be many dogs that can match them. Well done you two maniac's you did us both proud.


Ronny in action

No comments:

Post a Comment