Monday 24 May 2010

BSD World Champs Update

Wow what a great experience, ive had the best time ever and if I can qualify next year im definitely going to do it all again. I will try and keep this short but ive got so much to talk about.

Firstly thanks to the team for such a brilliant and enjoyable week away, it was such a nice atmosphere and thanks for looking after me on my first WC experience.

So we arrived late on tuesday evening after a long long drive to the venue, most of the dogs travelled well including Keisha but I think we were all glad to arrive at the hotel and finally get some proper sleep.

Wednesday was the opening ceremony, we all looked the part in our team colours including the dogs wearing the all important flag !!!

Thursday was training day, we arrived to find out that we would be competing on astroturf, I was slightly worried as we have never run on that surface and I wasn't sure if it would suit Keisha, however she didn't seem too bothered and apart from the odd slip she seemed to cope very well.
We did however have a moment of panic when Keisha decided she didnt like the colour of the A-Frame contact, BRIGHT ORANGE, so she kept leaping the whole of the up contact to avoid it, thankfully after a few attempts on the lead she finally decided it wasn't so bad after all.

Friday, competition Day 1
It didn't start so well, Keisha took the first pole and then got eliminated at the first tunnel after taking the wrong end and straight after that missed her weave entry, I decided to hold all her contacts after that and just get around the course enjoying it. I think she was slightly stressed about the whole situation.

The second round was jumping, thankfully Keisha was back on form and did a lovely round to finish clear, sadly not fast enough to qualify.

Then on to the first round of the Team event, jumping was first and Keisha ran as first dog, she ran really well and got home clear as did the next two dogs which meant the team were clear laying in 9th place going into the second day.

Saturday, competition Day 2
Again didn't start so well, naughty ME arrived at the long jump to early making me static and out of position to get to the next obstacle, Keisha turned the correct way but I couldn't get their to save it and we ended up getting eliminated, unfortunately I think this was the course that gave us the best chance for us to qualify so I was really gutted that I let her down.

Agility was the last run and Keisha went really well and finished clear, unfortunately we weren't fast enough so we didn't make it to the final on sunday.

So the last round of the team event was agility, Keisha decided to have a naughty moment in this class and pinged her A-Frame contact, I was a bit annoyed as she hadn't missed a contact up until that point and I really didn't want it to happen in the team event, looking back I think I worked it to hard and maybe forced the error after desperately wanting her to get the clear round, one of the other team dogs got eliminated which meant we carried through 5 clears and 1 x 5f. The team ended 6th out of 21 teams so not a bad result in the end.

So what have I learnt ................. I really need to work hard on Keisha's contacts, especially her A-Frame, they can be so slow at times which really eats into those vital seconds. Ive also decided im going to take more risks, don't get me wrong a clear round is important but a FAST clear round makes all the difference and if I want to compete with the best ive got to get to their standard. So watch this space ...........

Well done to the rest of the GB Team, I hope we can do it all again next year !!!



More pictures to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Well done mate, you and Keisha looked awesome unlucky not to qualify for the final but some brilliant work out there, congrats you should be proud!! Grace & Kiah x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, glad you really enjoyed your first of many World champs. Some brilliant rounds. Lisa x

    ReplyDelete